Monday, October 09, 2006

Long runs, China, and Garage Sales

I ran 17 on Friday. It was okay but not my best run ever. Jakeb ran the first three with me and I felt like it would be a really bad day but it ended up being okay.

I went to China in 1994 and at the time it was rare for the locals in that part of China to see westerners. I would run through Ningbo, a relatively small place for its 5 million people, with my neon shorts and white t-shirt I had earned back home at a 5K. People would see me on the streets and tap their friend on the shoulder and point at the 6’2” white guy with round eyes. Even though I was out of place I never felt like I was in any danger.

I can’t say the same thing about Friday morning in Lake Jackson. The early morning is not usually too busy but this morning was because all over town there were garage sales. Going to garage sales must be a big deal because in front of every one there were cars parked wherever there was space (in the driveway, in the ditch, in the street). The people who go to these things are aggressive. They are in a hurry to get to the garage sale to buy someone else’s junk. They are so aggressive that they are not in the mood nor do they have the patience to slow down for a runner who might just be trying to get out of the way. I feared for my existence a few times and bailed into front yards and ditches twice. The sidewalks are not safe haven enough because they are fair game for parking as well.

I ran four on Saturday and six this morning. The cooler mornings are making the runs a little easier.