Thursday, December 22, 2005

Memorial Park will wait

Last Thursday my wife Andrea and I stayed in Houston for a couple of days. My brother and his wife gave us tickets to see Ottmar Liebert and Lunanegra as an early Christmas present. Ottmar Liebert plays “Nouveau Flamenco” a latin form of classical acoustic guitar. With him he had a bass player, percussionist, cello, viola, and two violins. All of the musicians were incredibly talented. There were times during the concert where I had a hard time knowing where to look or listen because there was so much good stuff going on. I had to just close my eyes and take it in as a whole. In life that’s how I am sometimes. I get so caught up in the details that I miss the big picture.

The next day Andrea and I got some of our Christmas shopping done. We went to the Houston Museum of Natural Science and took in the Diana exhibit. It was cool to see the prayer book that Mother Teresa gave to Princess Di and how she stuck to the basic message of the faith in what she wrote in the front cover “Love God and love others”.

We ate really well too.

I was looking forward to my run on Saturday morning at Memorial Park. I had a twelve miler scheduled and our hotel was on 610 and Post Oak. I was going to run a mile and a half to Memorial Park, run the loop three times and run back to the hotel. I woke up early, stretched, drank coffee, ate a Clif bar, put on my stuff and walked out to the elevator. When I got down to the lobby I saw it was raining outside. I like to run in the rain but I hate cold weather. When I stepped out of the doublewide automatic lobby doors I got hit in the face with a blast of arctic air and saw that the wind was blowing so hard the rain was falling sideways.

The local weather man said that it would blow over in a couple of hours, but I didn’t have a couple of hours. We needed to leave mid-day to be back home. So I wimped out and ran three on the hotel treadmill. I ran my twelve miler on Sunday morning. I guess Memorial Park will have to wait.

Cindy - shhhh .....