Monday, December 26, 2005

21 miles to think

I ran 21 miles yesterday. It is my longest training run for the marathon and now it’s time to taper. I am looking forward to the taper. Twelve miles doesn’t seem like that far this Saturday.

The first two miles of my run yesterday were horrible. I couldn’t disconnect from the fact I was running. I thought about my pace. I thought about the weather and how humid it was. I thought about how choppy my stride seemed. I thought about how full I was after eating a couple of clif bars. I thought about how far I had left to go. I thought about how I was never going to be able to finish a marathon if I didn’t stop thinking about it.

For me it is crucial to my long run to let my mind wander. To go somewhere that doesn’t have much to do with running. I was able to do that after mile 2. And then at mile 10 my twelve-year-old son Jakeb joined me on his bike and rode the last 11 with me. It really helped having him there. It also helped that he brought a lot of water along.

It is amazing to me what my mind and body can do when I train and will them to do it.

If we could walk on water well it’s too hard to perceive
And you know it’s even harder to believe...
Merry Christmas …