Monday, May 14, 2012

Headlights - a useful accessory (& 22 miles)

This morning at 4:40 in the dark I ran down the park connector two and a half miles and then turned around and came back home. Along the way I have to cross six streets. On four of them there are no underpasses, overpasses or crosswalks. I just cross in the middle of the road.

As I approached Lower Delta I slowed a little as a taxi was coming from my right. After he passed I crossed the two lanes that head north and hit the median. I looked left and didn’t see anything coming. I took two steps into the road and a black car emerged from the shadows with his lights off. I turned hard to the right and headed back toward the median as the car swerved to miss me. I screamed at the top of my lungs “TURN YOUR HEADLIGHTS ON!” He drove off like he didn’t hear me although his window was down and there was no way the jerk did not get the message.

I don’t know what it is about people here in Singapore who like to drive in the dark with their lights off. Singapore is well lit and you can see where you are going without the lights on. But I cannot see you. And I don’t want to die. If you drive in the dark please turn your headlights on.

I ran 22 miles on Saturday. I got no gift of rain and it was hotter than Dante’s Inferno. The first half went great. At a little more than 7 miles I looked at my Garmin and I was running an 8:22 mile. That is way too fast as I only want to run around 4 hours at Christchurch. I paid for it in the last half. I was worn out and dehydrated and had to walk quite a bit. But I am done with the long stuff. I started tapering Sunday morning with an easy three miler.

Three weeks and then a marathon in the cold. Then two weeks traveling around the South Island with Andrea. I am excited!

“The first thirty minutes of my run is for my body, the second thirty minutes is for my soul.” - George Sheehan