Tuesday, November 08, 2011

The Goat Rodeo Sessions

Sometimes I run without listening to music. It gives my mind a mental break and lets it go where it will. If the run is hard then I can only concentrate on running.

More often than not I run with music. The music on my ipod is the soundtrack to my life. That can be good and it can be bad. Music moves me emotionally. Sometimes it is only entertainment, sometimes it puts into words what I would like to say but did not know how. Sometimes it speaks to and for my soul.

On Sunday Andrea asked me if I had heard The Goat Rodeo Sessions.

I said, “Huh?”

She said the names Chris Thile and Yo Yo Ma and I was immediately interested. We watched some of the intro videos and it is really good stuff. It is a quartet of Chris Thile, Yo Yo Ma, Stuart Duncan and Edgar Meyer.

The music is intricate and it twists and turns in places you least expect. It has a funky groove in a high brow bluegrass kind of way. It is fun music to listen to and run with. Since it is mostly instrumental my mind still has a break from lyrics. It is a different kind of break from running without music but enough of a change to be refreshing.

All in all the best way I can describe The Goat Rodeo Sessions is to say that the music is very satisfying.

Check out this link to The Goat Rodeo Sessions playing Quarter Chicken Dark on Colbert -->link.

If you think it is wrong or unsafe to run while listening to music I am sure you hated this post but I am okay with that.