Sunday, May 31, 2009

Moving on ... while running.

We moved out of our house on Thursday. We gave the keys to the new owners on Thursday night. The whole thing was kind of surreal. I can't live in a place for eight years and not have some nostalgia about leaving it even though I am looking forward to where we are going and am actually very relieved that the house is no longer ours.

On Thursday morning I ran six miles. I ran two of my three mile loops. The last one I ran was a route I call ‘sidewalk’. It is the first run I ever ran after we moved into 709 Center Way. I have run full circle in a figurative way and it is kind of symbolic that it is time to leave.

We are living with Andrea’s parents for the next couple of weeks before we get on an airplane bound for Singapore. We are taking space in their camper and a couple of spare bedrooms. This morning Jakeb and I ran four miles on a route I call ‘yaupon’ that used to start at our house and run past Andrea’s parent’s place at mile two. Today we started here and ran past our old house at mile 2. It was strange.

The changes in our life have helped us realize that this Singapore thing is emanate. We knew it was coming but has never been more real. In all of the craziness of the last couple of weeks running has kept me grounded as usual.