Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Happy B'day to me ...

Today is my birthday. Happy birthday to me.

People have asked me what I want and I have a hard time with the question. I want to be able to run so I would like a pair of running shoes but when I need a pair I go buy them. Maybe that is not so good of a present.

I want to read a book but I am picky about what I read. I like to hold a book in my hand and read a bit of it and smell it. If I like it I put the copy I just picked up back on the shelf and take the third or fourth one back. I want a clean and fresh book no one but the stock person has touched with a smooth cover and no wrinkled pages. No one can buy me a book. I have to do it for myself.

My family gives me what I want from them the most – them. If they could give me more of them that would be a weird birthday present. “Happy birthday – have some more of me.”

I really do not need anything. In fact Bono says it best:

Walk out into the street
Sing your heart out
The people we meet
Will not be drowned out
There’s nothing you have that I need
I can breathe