Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Running again

Last week on Thursday I started getting a sore throat. Immediately it ticked me off but then as I thought about it I was thankful that I did not get sick during the days leading up to or during the marathon.

I ran Friday morning and there was some soreness in my legs that was not evident when I walked. It was not bad enough to stop but it made the four mile run more difficult than it normally would have been.

On Saturday the weather was chilly, but I put on warm running clothes and turned the iPod to King’s X Dogman and ran hard. It was a good run.

Sunday Jakeb and I ran 5 miles together on a mixture of soft stuff and concrete. Afterwards I went on alone. I was supposed to run 12 but at 10 miles I was near the house so I stopped. If I could have stopped at 8 I would have. It was a miserable couple of miles. My body was drained.

This morning I ran 5 and the first 3 were solid miles … the last 2 were a bit more difficult but not as tough as Sunday’s run. My sore throat seems to be fading but I am still tired. Between being sick and marathon recovery running hasn’t been the most fun activity in my life, but I look forward to when I will enjoy it again.

On the food and weight front, Andrea has helped me work on eating in a more balanced way. I am a carb fiend. I love a huge bowl of cereal in the morning and bread all day. I also have a weakness for anything baked sweet and gooey. Andrea showed me how to add protein and eat carbohydrates in a more natural form. I have cut out dairy, refined sugar and lowered my sodium intake. I eat 5 times a day. In the last week I have lost nine pounds. Hopefully being lighter will help my running.