Friday, October 27, 2006

Seven Miles with Socrates

I got up really early this morning and was out of the door by 5 am for four miles by myself. Then I looped around and met Jakeb at the house and we ran 3 more together. Tomorrow is the first of two 20 mile long runs before I start to taper for the Dallas White Rock Marathon. I wanted to be a little fatigued but I hope the seven miles wasn’t over doing it.

Running this year has been good. This is the part of the training where I get more introspective because I wonder if I have it in me to finish my training at the level I desire. I wonder if I have it in me to finish 20 when I am not as rested as normal. I wonder if I can run a marathon in less than four hours. If I fail at either it will not be the end of the world and I will try again.

Training for a running a marathon is a great form of self-examination and Socrates said “The unexamined life is not worth living.”