Friday, July 21, 2006

Who needs a plan?

I ran six miles this morning. Being the imprecise runner that I am, all I know is that I ran it in about 55 minutes (~9:10 pace). This is my “long run” for the week as I start building up to marathon training.

I have been running in ignorant bliss, ignoring my training plan because I knew generally what I was supposed to be running but not specifically. So yesterday I opened my training plan spreadsheet and found that my general knowledge of my training plan was falling short of what I was actually supposed to be running.

This week I’ve run the following:

Saturday – 3 (track), Sunday – 5, Monday – 3, Tuesday – 4, Wednesday – 3, and Thursday – 6
Total – 24 miles

This is what my training plan called for:

Saturday – 4, Sunday – 4 (marathon pace), Monday – 6 (Long Run day), Tuesday – 4, Wednesday – 5 (track), Thursday - 4
Total – 27 miles

Fridays are my rest day. I’ll stick to the plan next week … and say goodbye to 3 milers forever.