Saturday, March 25, 2006

Body Worlds 3

Thursday I was a chaperone for my oldest daughter Tori and her biology class’ field to the Houston Museum of Natural Science to see the exhibition call BODY WORLDS 3: The Anatomical Exhibition of Real Human Bodies.

The exhibition is quite controversial. Here is some of what the HMNS web sight says about the exhibit:

Created by Dr. Gunther von Hagens, BODY WORLDS 3 is the culmination of the German scientist and physician’s 30-year career in anatomy. Like its predecessors, BODY WORLDS 3 presents more than 200 authentic specimens, including organs and whole body specimens, that have undergone Plastination—von Hagens’ groundbreaking method of halting decomposition and preserving the body after death for medical study, which he invented in 1977. But von Hagens says the Houston exhibit captures the evolution and refinement of his invention to its outer limits.

I thoroughly enjoyed the whole trip. It was good to hang out with Tori and her friends. I was fascinated by Body Worlds. The first time I heard about it was when I read Phillip Yancey’s book Rumors of Another World. I am glad I went.