Saturday, February 04, 2006

"Crazy stinkin runner"

I ran 12 miles this morning (9:05 pace average). I run two four-mile loops back-to-back and then run the first four-mile loop backwards. Make sense? At the end of eight miles I have a water bottle and a Gu hidden in a hollow at the bottom of Mr. Porter’s oak tree. I’ve never asked him if I could put it there, I just do.

As I finish my eighth mile this morning I looked up ahead at the oak tree and who was there? You guessed it … Mr. Porter; shoveling dirt out of the back of his truck to fill in low spots in his yard around the base his oak tree. For a second I thought about running on and just waving hi. But I was thirsty so I slowed to a walk and waved. I don’t think Mr. Porter really even knows who I am.

I stopped and said, “I hope you don’t mind but I hid my water bottle in your tree.”

He gave me a funny look and as I picked up the bottle and Gu I could see that the light went on and he said, “Oh … that’s okay.”

And I said, “Thanks for the good hiding place.”

He said, “You’re welcome.” And as I ran on he gave me that “crazy stinkin runner” look.