Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Garmin Forerunner 110

I am not a gadget guy. I didn’t get a cell phone until I had to. I do not have surround sound. My laptop is a practical notebook computer I mostly use to read my email and the internet and Skype with Andrea when she was in Texas without me.

This Christmas I got a Gamin Forerunner 110. I have thought about getting a Garmin for a while. I like the idea of putting on a watch and just running without having to stick to a prescribed route. But on the flip side of that I like the simplicity of running and I was always concerned that a GPS watch would just complicate things.

I am pretty regimented when it comes to running the miles that are in my training program. If I am supposed to run 5 miles today then I run 5. But I mainly try to just put in the miles and not worry much about pace. If my body feels like pushing it then I do but if I am not feeling all that great then I just cover the miles. I wear a standard sports watch but very rarely pay attention to it.

I was scared that owning a Garmin would ruin my running. And if I am not careful it will. The 110 is the most simple Forerunner but there is still a ton of data collected with every run – including how fast or slow I happen to be. If I stop to get a drink in the Botanic Gardens then my overall pace will be slower and my Garmin knows it.

So far I have been able to manage it. It will be good to just get out and run. I like seeing the elevation charts. I just have to be okay with being slow on some days and have my watch tell me so.