Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Running fun

This morning Jakeb and I ran four miles in the rain. It was a really fun run. We ran beside drainage ditches that were flowing like the Guadalupe River with Canyon Dam wide open. Everything looks different outside when it rains. I’ve always liked running in the rain and it is no different here in Singapore. We will see if my opinion is different after monsoon season.

Sometimes running can become drudgery. For the last couple of weeks though I have looked forward to almost every run. Even running the hills has come easier and I feel stronger running them. Hopefully the good feelings will last for a while.

When we first moved into our townhouse here in Singapore I woke up early the first morning and ran four miles. I got done with my run and I stood in the outdoor shower for a second to rinse the sweat from my clothes and then dove into the Allsworth Park complex swimming pool. I floated in the water for a while when a security guard walked around the corner of the building.

I said, “Good morning.”

In his staccato Asian accent he said “Pool’s closed.”

I said “okay when does it open?”

“Seven o’clock.”

“But I run every morning before seven o’clock and I want to cool off in the pool.”

“Pool opens seven o’clock.”

“So you mean I cannot jump in the pool to cool off after I run because some person somewhere decided the only time residents should enjoy the pool is after seven?”

“Pool opens seven o’clock.”

Knowing I was not getting anywhere with Mr Rigid Rule-follower I gave up and got out.

So I do not jump in the pool after I run except on the weekends when I run later in the morning. But I do go down and cool off by standing under the shower by the pool. I know the security guards know I am there because there are cameras everywhere. I have not been kicked out of the shower yet. Even though it is not the pool I enjoy being able to cool down after a run before I have to go inside. It reminds me of standing under the water hose behind the house in Lake Jackson.