Monday, August 20, 2007

I don't need no stinkin rest ...

After Saturday’s long run crash I knew I needed to take some time off. Immediately after the run I mentally made a plan to back off and not run for a couple of days.

Sunday morning I woke up and couldn’t stand it … I ran 3 miles.

This morning I woke up at 4:30 and was out of the door at 5:30 to run 3 more miles. In my mind I was thinking, “Instead of taking days off I will just back off on the mileage and pick it back up next week. These two runs of three miles are much less than the 6 and 5 milers I had on the schedule.” I started making plans to do some speed work tomorrow morning in the middle of a four miler.

As I turned the corner off of Oak and on to Oyster Creek Drive I was feeling good and started wondering why in the world I would ever think to slow down. One bad long run is no reason to back off of a good training schedule.

I barely got that thought out of my mind when my foot landed on a branch about 2 inches in diameter and I crashed to the sidewalk and rolled over to stare at the stars through the branches of a large tree. My ankle screamed at me from rolling awkwardly over the branch.

AHHHH … @#!$&^%

I walked a mile back to the house on my twisted ankle. I took ibuprofen and watched my right ankle swell. This morning my foot was up on my desk with a freezer bag of ice placed strategically on the swelling. I have an ankle brace on and I am trying to walk as little as possible.

There is a possibility that I really did need a couple of days off but I hate to be force into it. I may be able to run again on Friday … I hope!