Sunday, January 21, 2007

You're freaking me out ...

I ran 20 yesterday morning.

I was running along the side of FM 2004. It is a fairly busy road with a wide shoulder. As I crossed the railroad track between Richwood and Lake Jackson, a guy in an Explorer waved at me and I waved back. I thought nothing of it because people give me a wave often. A quarter of a mile down the road I passed a convenience store and in the parking lot was the same guy who waved at me and he stared as I ran by.

I continued to run and as I passed him up he pulled out on the road the same direction I was running. The Explorer pulled into the bowling alley parking lot ahead of me and he turned around and stared at me again and slowed as he passed.

He apparently turned around again in the convenience store parking lot and passed me again pulling ahead in the Family Fitness parking lot. He turned around and passed me yet again. This happened a couple of times.

As I approached the Family Fitness parking lot he was approaching the highway. At first I picked up my pace so I could beat him to the pull out drive. As I passed the Explorer I thought, “This has got to stop.”

So I spun in my tracks and made two strides toward the Explorer. The guy had his window down and a funny grin on his face.

In as gruff a tone as I could manage I said, “Are you following me?”

His funny grin turned to a startled look.

He stammered and said, “No, I’m supposed to meet some family in this area.”

“Well,” I said, “you’re freaking me out by driving back and forth past me.” I shook my head and ran on.

I never saw him again and the rest of the run was uneventful.

It’s time to taper for the Surfside Marathon.