Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Why ride when you can drive?

My 1994 Ford Explorer died on Saturday morning. Since my dad is a mechanic he has been working on it. We’ve done fine as a one car family for a couple of days but I wonder what it would be like to have only one car long term.

I ran four miles this morning, fed the dogs, did some crunches, and then took a shower and tried to cool down. Since the Explorer was fried I rode my bike to work. When I got here I was a bit sweaty so it was good that I brought another shirt.

Without cars we would have to live closer to work. We would be in better shape. We would have to endure one another’s odor from the human powered travel to the office. Life would definitely simplify.

Dad just called and said the Explorer is fixed. Tomorrow I go back to my self-absorbed, air-conditioned, gas powered journey to work.