Saturday, August 05, 2006

I run at 6 ... A.M.

The student ministry at our church had a dodge ball night at a local pizza restaurant/indoor soccer field a couple of weeks ago. One of the guys there is a high school runner and knows I run.

He came up to me and said, “Hey I want to run with you sometime.”

“You’re faster than me”, I told him.

“I don’t care, you run farther than me.”

“I run at six in the morning.”

He gave me a funny look and just walked away. He didn’t say “never mind” or “no thanks, that’s too early”. He just wandered off.

A couple of days ago I saw him in the office and I said, “Every morning I stand at the end of my driveway and look at my watch. It says ‘6:00 a.m.’ and I look up both sides of the street and you are not there. What’s up?”

He said, “I’ll meet you in the morning…at the track. I’ll ride my bike and meet you there”

Jakeb and I rode our bikes to the track the next morning and I looked at my watch. It said ‘6:00 a.m.’ and no one but me, Jakeb and a couple of walkers were on the dark oval.

A morning runner waits for no one. I think it has to do with that red line.