Sunday, July 30, 2006

Mosquito Chase

Jakeb and I ran the Mosquito Chase yesterday morning. The race is part of The Great Texas Mosquito Festival in Clute. It is normally the hottest local race of the year and this year was no exception.

As soon as the gun went off (or really when the guy starting the race yelled “Go!”) the sun came up over the horizon. I was able to keep pace with EQ for a couple of tenths of a mile but that was only because he started at the back of the pack and admitted that he was going to take it easy. It wasn’t long until he was out of sight.

I ran pretty well. I am not in my fastest 5k shape ever but I am pleased with the results. I passed 3 people in the second mile and picked off eight in the last 1.1 even though my pace progressively slowed.

Mile 1 – 7:27
Mile 2 – 7:42
Mile 3 – 7:50
.1 – 34:44
Total – 23:34 (7:36 pace)

Jakeb ran 26:05 about a minute and a half off of his 5k PR. It was a good race for him considering the heat and the fact that he is just in the beginning stages of training for a half-marathon.

Jake and I finished the day at an Astro's game with great seats behind home plate. We got to see Roy O pitch and the Astro's win so it was worth the trip.

Overall it was a good day.