Tuesday, April 18, 2006

McDonald's pancake?

This weekend there are several local races. I cannot run on Sunday morning so the San Jacinto festival 5k is out. I think I will run the flapjack 5k in Freeport on Saturday morning. I’ve run this race once years ago but I don’t think it was part of Riverfest like it is this year.

The year I ran it, there were probably only 50 people or so and when we were finished a guy pulled up in his car with a bunch of pancakes from McDonalds. I was thinking they were going to make big, home made, fluffy pancakes… but we got McDonald’s pancakes. McDonalds pancakes will do, they are just disappointing when you are expecting more. That’s what is so great and disappointing (at the same time) about living in a relatively small town and running their relatively small races.

This year I have no expectations besides running a 5k, so whatever I get beyond the race will be a bonus. I see that the prizes include boiled shrimp for the male and female winners.

I am in no shape to run this race very fast. At my top speed I am not sure I could be called fast but I speak of fast in relative terms. I am pleased that I am in shape to run it at all, so I will run. Jakeb is going to run it too. He will probably beat me, but I hope not because I will never live it down. The day is coming when he will run me into the dirt, I just hope it is when he gets a little older.