Thursday, January 12, 2006

The Pilgrimage

I ran three miles this morning on a route that I’ve run hundreds of times. I call it the “sidewalk” route because I run on a sidewalk that leaves the street and goes behind some houses.

As I ran this last real run before the marathon on a familiar route I asked myself “why am I doing this again?”

Last year I ran a marathon as a “check-box” thing. I’d been running for almost 11 years and had talked about running a marathon sometime before I died. Last year seemed like as good a year as any, so I trained for and ran my first marathon in 2005 in Houston and placed a check in that box. The whole idea of checking anything off of a list is kind of weird for me though because I abhor to-do lists.

Since I had accomplished what I set out to accomplish, why would I choose to train for and run another marathon? And as I thought about it, I’ve come to realize it has nothing to do with the prize at the end. Checking a box, getting a finishers metal, a t-shirt, a mug and a certificate saying I’ve run a marathon is cool but for me none are good reasons for running.

It is about the pilgrimage. Pilgrims travel to holy places and the journey has purpose and significance. In the process of traveling they learn more about themselves – physically mentally, emotionally and spiritually. The holy destination is only a small part of the reason for the journey. The main point is the journey itself.

In running I plan to make it to the destination; the “holy place” at the end of a 26.2 mile course. More than the destination though the pilgrimage has taught me quite a bit about myself. My body can handle far more than I thought it could if I will only push it. My mind is tough enough to push on when my body says it wants to quit. My emotions are worked through and find solid foundations as I think and run. And God is present in every foot fall when my spirit is listening.

So Sunday I will run 26.2 and reach my destination, but I will also become more of who I am as I find myself on the way.